In this, Tyko’s second post, he talks about three squadrons attached to 19 Wing Comox:
19 Air Maintenance Squadron
19 Air Maintenance Squadron (19 AMS) provides second-line aircraft support to all the flying squadrons at CFB Comox, and specific air support to 443 Maritime Helicopter Squadron, Victoria. 19 AMS also provides Explosive ordnance disposal services to 19 Wing and various areas within British Columbia and the Yukon. The commanding officer of 19 AMS is responsible for 110 personnel who work in a wide range of areas including armament, avionics, non-destructive testing aircraft structures and mechanical support. The squadron was formed in 1993.
Superbia Et Excellentia
(Motto: Pride and Excellence)
407 Long Range Patrol Squadron
No. 407 Coastal Strike Squadron was formed at RAF Thorney Island, England in 1941 first flying the Bristol Blenheim. It was one of seven RCAF squadrons serving with the RAF Coastal Command. From September 1941 to January 1943 the squadron operated as a “strike” squadron attacking enemy shipping with the Lockheed Hudson. It was as a strike squadron that won its reputation and nickname “The Demon Squadron”. On the 29th of January 1943 it was re-designated 407 General Reconnaissance Squadron, and for the remainder of the war the “Demons” protected allied shipping from German U-boats, operating the Vickers Wellington. The squadron was disbanded in 1945 following the end of WWII. In 1952 the squadron was re-activated at RCAF Station Comox as 407 Maritime Reconnaissance Squadron flying the Avro Lancaster. In 1956 it was renamed as a Maritime patrol Squadron. The Squadron has served continually at Comox flying the Avro Lancaster, P2V-7 Neptune and CP-107 Argus. Today the squadron fly’s the CP-140 Aurora on coastal patrol, anti-submarine and long range patrol duties.
To Hold On High (motto)
442 Transport and Rescue Squadron
442 Squadron was formed in 1942 flying Curtiss Kittyhawks as 14 Fighter Squadron part of the RCAF Western Air Command. The squadron was put into action due to the threat off of Canada’s West coast after Pearl Harbor. The squadron then moved to Alaska where it took part in bombing and strafing missions against then Japanese-held Kiska. 14 squadron was then renumbered 442 Fighter Squadron and deployed to England in January 1944 and flew attack and bombing escort missions in Northwest Europe Flying the North American VI Mustang, claiming 58 enemy aircraft and hundreds of vehicles and locomotives. The squadron then disbanded in 1945 after all hostilities had ended, and reformed a year later at RCAF Station Sea Island as an auxiliary fighter squadron flying De Havilland Vampires. In 1956 they retired the Vampires and re-equipped with the more modern Canadair Sabre, however in 1958 the squadron acquired De Havilland Otters and Beechcraft Expeditors flying as a re-designated auxiliary transport squadron. It was again disbanded in 1964 and reformed in 1968 during the unification of Canada’s forcesas 442 communications and rescue squadron until being re-designated to its current name. 442 Squadron is one of the busiest SAR (search and rescue) units in the country with every paratroop in the Canadian forces learning at the squadron. They are now based at 19 wing Comox, BC. The main training facility for the new Airbus C295 is going to be built at 19 wing Comox with 442 squadron being the trainer squadron.
They currently fly the De Havilland Canada CC-115 Buffalo, the Augusta Westland CH-149 Cormorant and in 2019 the aforementioned C295 will replace the Buffalo as Canada’s main fixed-wing SAR platform.
Un Dieu, Une Reine, Un Coeur
(Motto: One God, One Queen, One Heart)