Tyko‘s first post introduces us to our base, 19 Wing Comox.
19 Wing Comox, BC
The airfield at 19 wing Comox was built as an RAF base in 1942 and in 1943 it was officially designated an RCAF base. Its primary purpose was to fly control for 32 Operational Training Unit (OTU) at Patricia Bay, Victoria. 32 OTU later transferred to Comox and become No. 6 Transport Squadron (RCAF) flying C-47 Dakotas under the command of Group Captain D.C.S Macdonald. In 1946, No.6 Squadron moved to RCAF Station Greenwood N.S. and RCAF Station Comox was closed. In 1952, Comox was re-opened as an Air Defense Command (ADC) establishment under the operational control of 12 Air Defense Group and began an extensive modernization program witch included several new buildings including a new, bigger hangar (hangar 7) and extending the runway to its current 10,000 ft. The stations first operational squadron, 407 “Demons” Maritime Patrol Squadron was reactivated and equipped with Lancaster bombers modified for the Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) role. In 1953, the first 150 permanent personnel quarters were erected and occupied. An elementary school for the RCAF personnel’s children with classrooms for grades one to six and kindergarten was built. 409 “Nighthawks” All Weather Fighter Interceptor Squadron was formed in 1954. Over the years, the squadron was equipped with T-33 Silverstar, CF-100 Canucks and the CF-101 Voodoo. Also formed in 1954 were 51 Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron as part of the CADIN Pinetree radar line. In 1961, Comox was officially placed under the control of Maritime Air Command. Following the closing of RCAF Station Sea Island, 121 Composite Squadron moved to its new home at Comox in 1964 with their Albatross aircraft. In 1968, 121 Squadron was became 442 Communications and Rescue Squadron and a few months later 442 Transport Search and Rescue Squadron. In 1974, another Maritime flying unit, VU-33, moved to Comox from Patricia bay with three CP-121 Trackers and three more T-33 Silver Stars. The move of VU-33 to Comox consolidated all military flying in British Columbia to Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Comox. In 1975, CFB Comox and all Squadrons came under the command of the Commander Air Command, with headquarters in Winnipeg, Manitoba. In 1984, 409 Squadron ceased Voodoo operations and moved to CFB Cold Lake, Alberta. Moreover, in June 1992 VU-33 was officially disbanded and on the 5 July 1992 414 Squadron was moved from CFB North Bay to Comox. 414 Squadron was officially stood down in 2002, following the retirement of the CT-33 Silver Star the previous month. In 1993, 19 Air Maintenance Squadron was established to provide operational support to the wing. In 2002, 442 Squadron traded in its CH-113 Labradors for the new CH-149 Cormorant.
No Retreat! (Motto)