The Main Gallery- West Coast Aviation History.
Our self-guided tour begins at the dawn of Military Aviation in WWI, loops through WWII, Korea, the Cold War and United Nations Peacekeeping before reaching our Squadron section. Try out our CF-101 Voodoo ejection seat and get an up close and personal view of an Argus Wright 3350, 18 cylinder engine, then have a seat in our viewing lounge to watch a DVD from our collection.
19 Wing Comox Heritage Vehicle Display
CAFM’s Heritage Vehicles are currently on display in the newly renovated Building 268. To view, please call us at 250- 339-8162 or check in at the Gift Shop, as maintenance for these vehicles is ongoing.
The Heritage Vehicles can be seen in parades and events around the Comox Valley.
References/Further ReadingReferences/Further Reading
All references are from the “Canada Weapons of War” series:
- M38A1 ¼ Ton Truck in Canadian Service by Andrew Iarocci
- The WWII Jeep in Canadian Service by Eric Booth
- The ¾ Ton SMP Truck in Canadian Service by Andrew Iarocci
Sunday, July 1st marks Canada's Birthday! Join us as we participate in local festivities; watch for our Jeep in the Canada Day Parade and find us at our Museum's booth in Lewis Park! For those of you looking for an indoor activity, our Museum will be open for the...read more
The Aircraft Tow Tractor, more commonly known as a “Mule”, was manufactured in 1952 by the Northwestern Motor Company of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. It was specifically designed to push or pull aircraft or maintenance trailers around the airport and was constructed with numerous heavy steel parts. This extra weight was required in order to ensure enough traction for the tires to push or pull heavy loads.read more
Even before World War II ended in 1945, the Cold War was clearly coming, and Canada and its Allies started rearmament programs. In 1951, the Willys-Overland Motor Company of Toledo, Ohio began production of the M38 ¼ Ton Truck, more commonly known as “Jeep”, to replace the World War II Jeeps of the US Army. It was a light general purpose cargo and personnel vehicle, which was adaptable to reconnaissance, command, communications, medical, and other logistical roles. The Ford Motor Company of Windsor, Ontario built the M38 CDN, under licence from Willys, for the Canadian Forces. As the M38 CDN production began in 1952, a newer model, the M38A1 CDN was already in the works, and this line ran over a span of two decades and through three models before being phased out in the early 1970’s. As of 1971, there were 2,266 Jeeps in Canadian service.read more