News and Events

Read the latest about what's happening at the Comox Air Force Museum

1953 Ford ¼ Ton Truck

Even before World War II ended in 1945, the Cold War was clearly coming, and Canada and its Allies started rearmament programs. In 1951, the Willys-Overland Motor Company of Toledo, Ohio began production of the M38 ¼ Ton Truck, more commonly known as “Jeep”, to replace the World War II Jeeps of the US Army. It was a light general purpose cargo and personnel vehicle, which was adaptable to reconnaissance, command, communications, medical, and other logistical roles. The Ford Motor Company of Windsor, Ontario built the M38 CDN, under licence from Willys, for the Canadian Forces. As the M38 CDN production began in 1952, a newer model, the M38A1 CDN was already in the works, and this line ran over a span of two decades and through three models before being phased out in the early 1970’s. As of 1971, there were 2,266 Jeeps in Canadian service.

read more

MAY 8th ~ VE DAY

Today is VE  Day, a day of remembrance, the day that commemorates the end of World War II, specifically in Europe.  Victory in Europe Day, generally referred to as VE Day, was the public holiday celebrated on May 8th, 1945 to mark the formal acceptance by the World...

read more

Comox Air Force Museum

The CAFM commemorates the role and history of 19 Wing (CFB/RCAF/RAF), documenting significant achievements in West Coast Military Aviation History.

Founded in 1982 as part of the Air Force Indoctrination School, CAFM was accredited as a stand-alone Canadian Forces Museum and officially opened its doors to the public on 12 September 1987.