The coming week has been declared “National Volunteer Week” and it’s rather fitting that we honoured our Museum Volunteers at the recent Comox Valley Air Force Museum Association AGM on April 5th. Our President, as well as our Volunteer Coordinator, celebrated the many contributions of our volunteers. It might interest you to know that our volunteers do a number of things to maintain the high quality of the Museum:
- The Collections Management Committee meets monthly to work with the many donations brought in.
- Many volunteers work in the Gift Shop, welcoming visitors and helping them with their purchases.
- We are involved in display construction and development.
- We work in the Library and assist with research.
- We work in the archives and process photographs.
- We administer our website and contribute posts to the site.
- We maintain our presence on Facebook.
- We staff events such as the Cumberland Heritage Fair..
- We work on the Heritage Maintenance Team, working on our heritage vehicles and aircraft.
- We participate on the Comox Valley Air Force Museum Association Board.
In the past year, we contributed well over 13,000 hours! And, we get so involved with what we’re doing we don’t always record our hours!
In addition to honouring all the volunteers, this year, some of our members received special recognition along with our admiration and thanks: Rob Roy, Herb Lightfoot, and Murray Smith have volunteered for 25 years. Terry Chester and Geoff Plant received their 15 year pin. Irv Fraser, Marty Cunningham, Rodney Hyde-Jones, Keith Kent, and Robert Lesage have received their 10 year pin. Corrine Bainard received her 5 year pin.
We are proud of the work we do, the contributions we’ve made, and love to spend time together at the Museum. Come in for a visit and meet us!