The Comox Valley Air Force Museum Association is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the role of Program Manager and Volunteer Coordinator at the Comox Valley Air Force Museum in Lazo, BC.
Title: Program Manager and Volunteer Coordinator
Part time: Based on 4 days/30 hrs per week
Starting annual salary: $35,000 + GST
Target Start Date: March 2019
Deadline for Application: January 28, 2019
How to apply: Interested candidates should email resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attached documents will only be accepted in Microsoft Word or PDF formats. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The Comox Valley Air Force Museum is dedicated to collecting, preserving, interpreting and promoting the rich history of military aviation on the BC West Coast. A small paid staff and a volunteer Board of Directors actively support the Museum’s vision to become a national model for demonstrating how history, story-telling, material collection and preservation promotes social well-being, service and citizen engagement within the local community.
Primary Duties: The successful candidate will, under the direction of the Museum Director
- Provide oversight and assistance in the conceptualization and implementation of all Museum exhibits in all locations and ensures these exhibits align with Museumprogrammatic, marketing and development goals and objectives.
- Assist in the development, planning, and delivery of programs.
- Assist in the recruitment of volunteers.
- Supervise summer students and volunteers to ensure all proper physical and intellectual controls for the collections are maintained.
- Assist with the development of policies, plans and procedures to drive strategic direction of the Museum.
- Provide workshop training to staff and volunteers related to Museum activities.
- Provide or help coordinate special content presentations or lectures related to West Coast aviation culture and history.
- Quickly answer requests and inquiries from other professionals and the public.
- Attend professional conferences, seminars and training pertaining to duties as deemed necessary by the Board of Directors.
- Participate in the Museum Association Meetingsand provide regular reports to the Board of Directors.
- Undertake research related to collections and exhibits in production.
- Represent the Museum at special events and receptions to promote the activities and goals of the Museum.
- Establish and maintain community partnerships.
- Assist in initiating and developing publications related to the collections.
- Help develop print and digital media materials to promote exhibits, collections and the Museum.
- Assist, and in some cases lead coordination of, selected special events, initiatives and tours to promote the mission of the Museum.
- Knowledge of professional museum principles, standards and best practices
- Knowledge of research tools and methodology
- Knowledge of computerized museum records management
- Strong organizational and social skills
- Strong computer literacy skills including MS Office Suite
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication
- Self directed, motivated, and conscientious
- Responsible, reliable, adaptable and a willingness to learn
- Ability to work flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends
- Previous experience working in a museum or historic site
- Knowledge of retail sales
- Knowledge of Canadian Air Force history
- Military experience or good working knowledge of rank and organization of the Canadian Forces