Canadian Military Pattern
The Canadian Military Pattern (CMP) truck was born out of the need to augment military vehicle production in Britain and to supply Commonwealth countries that had not adequately prepared for war. In short order, British specifications and Canadian production lines combined to produce the CMP fleet of vehicles. The fleet was manufactured on the Chevrolet production line of the General Motors of Canada plant in Oshawa, Ontario.
Because they were built to British specifications, all CMP vehicles were right-hand-drive. The CMP 3 Ton truck was a general utility truck which had 4 x 4 capability. It was usually known as a stake truck and the bed could be a wood fence arrangement or steel box container with the option of a canvas cover over the bed area.
A 442 Squadron exercise in March 1952 at Sumas airstrip was conducted for practice in setting up camp at an airfield that was isolated and completely without facilities. F/L Larry Smith keeps tabs on the airfield traffic from the mobile “Chev” control tower. Note he is protruding out of the rectangular air observation hatch in the roof of the cab.
This CMP in Canadian Army service has a canvas cover over the truck bed and a tool locker aft of the fuel tank under the truck bed. Note the spare tire mounted between the cab and the truck bed. The cylindrical object hanging off the engine compartment is a radiator expansion tank.
Another Canadian Army CMP fitted with a round air observation hatch in the roof of the cab.
The CMP at the museum in Nanton, Alberta is finished in Air Force Blue. The hoops in the truck bed are to hold the canvas cover in place. Note the turning signal arm just aft of the driver’s door.
Please Support the Comox Air Force Museum
Primary funding for the care and preservation of our artifacts comes from donations and grants to the Comox Valley Air Force Museum Association.
Comox Air Force Museum
The Museum CMP is a model C60L Stake Truck which was manufactured on 7 April 1944. After service with the Canadian Forces, it was used at a mine site in Northern BC from 1952, and donated to the Comox Air Force Museum in Nov 2007. Restoration took five years by Museum volunteers.
The Museum CMP as it was found at a Northern BC mine site.
The beautifully restored Museum CMP is shown at the Comox Air Show, 17 Aug 2011. Its Net Weight is 6658 lbs (3020 kg) and its Gross Vehicle Weight is 9987 lbs (4530 kg). (photo by Len Phillips)
The windshield on the CMP was angled slightly inward at the bottom to minimize the glare from the sun, and to avoid reflections that could be observed by enemy aircraft. Note the right-hand driver position.
The right-hand driver position is shown and note that the engine protrudes into the cab area. In operation, the engine is covered by a ‘doghouse’.